Health Office

Health Records
We strictly uphold the California Immunization Requirement that all immunizations, health records, and updates be current in order for your child to be in attendance the first day of school. Please make sure you have given the Health Office the requested forms no later than the first day of school.

Incoming K/1st grade students must have the Health Exam form filled out by your child’s physician.

In accordance with California School Immunization Law, Health and Safety Code Sections 120325-120375 any student entering school must have all immunizations up to date.

Booster Shot Required for 7th Grade Students
All students entering 7th grade will need to show proof of an adolescent booster immunization (Tdap) for 2015-2016 in order for them to start school in September. For more information about this booster, please visit:

As you may be aware, there will be a change in student immunization requirements in 2016. Under a new law known as Senate Bill 277 (SB 277), beginning January 1, 2016 immunization exemptions based on personal beliefs will no longer be available for the vaccines that are currently required for school admission. Personal belief exemptions (PBE) on file with the school before January 1, 2016 for a student already enrolled in school will remain in effect until the student reaches the next immunization check point at kindergarten (including transitional kindergarten) or 7th grade. Any PBE must be received by the school before January 1, 2016 in order to be valid.

The new law requires that all students follow the State immunization requirements for school enrollment unless there is a documented medical reason provided by a licensed physician. The main components of SB 277 and the new immunization requirements are outlined below:

  • Personal beliefs exemptions from immunizations must have been accepted prior to January 1, 2016 and not after that date.
  • Students entering into Transitional Kindergarten/Kindergarten, and 7th Grade on and after July 1, 2016, will be required to submit documentation verifying compliance with the State immunization requirements, unless a valid medical exemption is on file with the school.
  • A parent/guardian may submit to the school a written statement by a licensed physician (MD or DO) exempting a student from immunization (medical exemption). In order to obtain a valid medical exemption, SB 277 requires a written statement by a licensed physician which states: (1) the physical condition or medical circumstances relating to the student are such that immunization is not considered safe; (2) the specific nature of the medical condition; (3) the probable duration of the medical condition; (4) circumstances, including, but not limited to, family medical history, for which the physician does not recommend immunization, and (5) that the student shall be exempt from the vaccines indicated by the physician’s statement.
  • The school is required to obtain documentary proof of each student’s immunization status and maintain a record of the immunizations of each student. Parents/guardians must provide their child’s immunization records to the school.
  • A student without the required evidence of immunization may be excluded from school until the immunization is obtained or an exemption is granted based on a valid medical exemption or PBE on file before January 1, 2016.
  • If there is good cause to believe that a student has been exposed to a communicable disease and the student’s documentation of immunization does not show proof of immunization against that disease, the student may be temporarily excluded from the school until the local health officer is satisfied that the student is no longer at risk of developing or transmitting the disease.

Information about school immunization requirements and SB 277 Frequently Asked Questions are available on the State’s Shots for School website at

Healthy students learn better! Please do not send your child to school when he/she is ill. Call the school at once if your child has a communicable disease. The staff continually observes the students for possible symptoms or exposure to contagious diseases. Parents are notified of communicable disease based on the policies set forth by the Orange County Health Care Agency.

Please make sure the school has a current emergency contact form on file at all times with home, cell and parents’ work numbers, a doctor’s name and number, and the number of two other adults in case the parents cannot be reached.

Medical treatment is the responsibility of the parent/guardian and an authorized health care provider. An authorized health care provider is an individual who is licensed by the State of California to prescribe medication. Both prescription and over the counter medication may be given at school when it is deemed absolutely necessary by the authorized health care provider that the medications be given during school hours. The parent/guardian is urged, with the help of your child’s authorized health care provider, to work out a schedule of giving medication at home whenever possible.

California Education Code, Section 49423 allows school personnel to assist in carrying out an authorized health care provider’s written orders. Designated non-medical school personnel may be assisting with your child’s medication. They will be trained and supervised by the Health Office Manager. Medication will be safely stored and locked or refrigerated, if required.

Emergency medicine such as EpiPens or inhalers may be carried by the student when recommended by an authorized health care provider and parent. If an EpiPen is required, we will also request that the parents have their health care provider complete a Food Allergy Action Plan. Back-up medication should be kept at school for emergency use. Students who have a chronic medical condition (diabetes, epilepsy, etc.) should have an emergency supply of their prescription medication at school with the appropriate consent forms in the event of a disaster.

Allergy Alert
We have several students with various food allergies. Students with nut allergies sometimes have life-threatening reactions that require epinephrine treatment when exposed. We have a special nut free lunch table for these students to enjoy their meals safely. We would ask that all students respect this area. In addition, we will be encouraging students to wash their hands after eating foods with nut products to avoid spreading the oils to our play equipment. All faculty/staff are trained in EpiPen administration. If your child has an EpiPen prescribed by their doctor, please provide one for the Health Office in case of a severe reaction at school

Chronic Medical Conditions
Students requiring management or accommodations for chronic medical conditions should have a written note of diagnosis, treatment plans and limitations on file with the school. Please complete the appropriate forms located (below) and hand-deliver it to the Health Office on Meet the Teacher Day along with the medication. All medications must be in the original package with the prescription showing student’s name.

If you would like to discuss your child’s medical condition or have questions, please contact the Health Office at 714.437.1700 extension 179.

Medication Form
OTC Medication Form
Asthma Health History
Asthma Action Plan
Food Allergy Health History
Food Allergy Action Plan
Health Exam
Seizure Action Plan
School Participation Following Injury/Illness
Student Health & Emergency Preparedness
Report of Health Examination for School Entry
Concussion Signs and Symptoms Checklist
Concussion Fact Sheet For Middle School Athletes
Concussion Fact Sheet for Parents
Shots for School- CA Immunization Resources