Start date for new teachers: Thursday, August 15, 2019
Status: Full Time
The art program at MCS offers a unique approach of teaching the visual arts through art history, art critique, and techniques in a variety of mediums. The art program incorporates overviews of contemporary artists, the Masters, as well as art critique through visual thinking strategies and the identification of elements of art and principals of design.
The Art Teacher will teach grades K-5th on a rotating cycle and students in grades 6th-8th who have chosen art as an elective.
The Art Teacher will develop a solid, God-glorifying foundation in Art. The duties of the Art teacher include creating lesson plans, preparing classroom activities, organizing teaching materials, collecting informal assessment of student progress to inform instruction, maintaining student records, meeting with teachers and other professionals in the field, and participating in campus events.
- Plan and execute a cohesive standards-based Art program utilizing class time to develop various techniques utilizing a variety of material, appreciation of fine art, art history, and Art of the Masters
- Set and communicate clear expectations of achievement that are measurable for all students
- Create highly engaging lessons and establish innovative methods for students to build a love, connection with, and appreciation for Art and seeing God’s hand in creativity
- Include a variety of projects and hands-on experiences appropriate for student ages and proficiency levels
- Assess student’s growth and understanding to inform future instruction and enhance student progress
- Create and post monthly student art displays
- Create and post an All School Art Show annually at Open house.
- Hold students accountable for high expectations of behavior
- Create an environment in a physical classroom conducive to collaborative and individual learning; integrating technology when appropriate and beneficial
- Establish a culture of respect, humility, flexibility, grace, and enthusiasm in a highly engaging and productive learning environment
- Solicit and eagerly receive feedback from supervisor and colleagues to improve professional skills
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to professional growth by seeking out professional development opportunities and experts in the field
Credential, Experience, and Interdisciplinary Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree – BFA in Visual Arts preferred
- Valid Preliminary or Clear Teaching Credential; Single subject in Art preferred
- Strong organizational, communication, and written skills
- Experience teaching Art to students at both the upper and lower grade levels preferred
- Must be able to convey enthusiasm for Art to students to help instill a desire to learn
- Full Time Position
- Planning instruction and collaboration time built into the daily schedule
Reports to: Elementary and Middle School Principals
It is and shall be the policy and practice of Mariners Christian School in the hiring of employees that the school will not discriminate on the basis of the applicant’s race, age, genetic information, color, gender, nationality, or ethnic origin. We do reserve the right to screen applicants on the basis of religious preference.
Each employee of Mariners Christian School must:
- Be a born-again Christian who can show evidence of regular church attendance and can articulate personal faith in Christ.
- Maintain a lifestyle consistent with the moral standards stated in the Mariners Christian School contract and the Declaration of Moral Integrity.
- Be in agreement with and sign the MCS Statement of Faith.
- Have criminal history clearance. (Fingerprinting specific to MCS to be arranged at hiring.)
Please send the following items to Dianne McVay at email@example.com
- Current Resume
- Letters of recommendation (2)
- Brief summary of Christian experience (e.g. testimony, church affiliation, and ministry involvement.)
Note: Expressing interest in this position and submitting requested items does not guarantee an invitation to interview.