TK, KINDERGARTEN, FIRST, SECOND, & THIRD GRADE
The primary years are an exciting time for young musicians at the Mariners Institute for the Arts! General Music classes are held once a week and offer a wide range of experiences including creating and performing music. Students create original works through improvisation and composition. They also perform collaboratively and individually – both vocally and with percussion instruments. Art music, folk music, and newly composed music create a rich repertoire collection that students use to learn musical notation and critical listening. These skills are developed and assessed following the National Core Arts Standards. We are excited to hold the TK-3rd Grade Christmas Program on December 7, 2017 at 6:00PM.
FOURTH & FIFTH GRADES
In fourth and fifth grade students may choose one of three ensemble tracks: Choir, Band, or Orchestra. These classes are offered at the beginning and intermediate level, and include instruction in music literacy, playing technique, and ensemble skills. All classes also include performance opportunities throughout the year. This is a two-year commitment which allows all students to achieve musical proficiency in their chosen discipline. The 4th-5th Grade Christmas Concert has been scheduled for December 12, 2017 in the evening.
ELEMENTARY TECHNICAL ARTS
Mariners Christian School offers an exciting and unique program that starts in 5th grade and continues into middle school known as the Technical Arts. This course offers 5th grade students an opportunity to learn the foundation of sound engineering, graphic design, lighting design, videography and internet web streaming while connecting it with God’s Word. Students have opportunities to train and develop skills in these areas and use their knowledge and training in support of our school chapels and special events such as Elementary Chapels, Elementary Talent Show and Grandparents Day. Elementary Tech Arts currently meets three days per week during lunch.
ELEMENTARY VISUAL ARTS
The theme for the MCS Visual Art Program this year is “Your Life Is a Work Of Art”. It is our belief at MCS that each child is made in God’s image, and therefore, has a seed of creativity within them. The intent of the art program is to not only foster the growth of this creativity, but to explore the conversation that our very lives are a work of art with our students. Our art program will instill confidence through age appropriate projects that encourage self-expression, self-direction, multiple outcomes, and risk taking. An appreciation for the arts is fostered both in their own work and that of others so they can recognize that their creativity is a gift. Students become visually literate through learning an artistic vernacular that includes the elements of art. Various artists and styles will be discussed and new techniques explored so that students are comfortable in a variety of media. Students will discover the joy and wonder of creative expression, as well as to fully embrace the process and not just the product. Visual Art is offered to elementary students in grades K-5.
THE MIDDLE SCHOOL INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC PROGRAM offers the following ensembles:
- 6TH GRADE BAND OR ORCHESTRA (for students who have studied an instrument for 1-2 years). Students are instructed in music theory, rhythmic counting, development of excellent tone and technique and we explore a wide variety of literature from various musical time periods and start developing confidence in using their musical talents to glorify God.
- COMBINED 7TH/8TH GRADE BAND OR ORCHESTRA (for students who have studied a musical instrument for 3+ years). Band and Orchestra students are instructed in advanced musical techniques as well as preparing students to use their gifts in a worship setting and to contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible Christians to the praise and glory of God. Instrumental concerts will be scheduled for 2017-2018 soon.
- THE MIDDLE SCHOOL MUSICAL is an after school program for auditioned members and requires a commitment for rehearsals Monday through Thursday from Mid-March through May 20th. Performances are held in May. Look for more details forthcoming.
- The 7th/8th GRADE WORSHIP ELECTIVE offers students the ability to identify the framework of worship as set forth in the Old and New Testaments and apply the principles to contemporary worship. Students will synthesize the elements of worship preserved in the various traditions of the past with today’s contemporary worship, understand the foundations of their own worship styles while applying the biblical mandates in a modern society, and create their own personal philosophy and theology of worship with scriptural underpinnings. Goals will be met through practical application. Students use their musical gifts (vocal and instrumental) to practice worship song charts in preparation for Monday morning chapel services at MCS. Students will develop their musical talents and gifts for worship as well as developing leadership skills. Leadership practice is emphasized through the worship elective course as students are given the opportunity to lead their teachers and peers in praise and worship. The worship elective is a great opportunity for students to learn the many facets of being a part of a leadership/worship team. The Worship Elective currently includes vocalists, acoustic and electric guitar/bass, drums and keyboard but all instrumentalists are welcome.
The 6th-8th Grade Christmas Concert has been scheduled for December 14th in the evening.
MIDDLE SCHOOL TECHNICAL ARTS elective classes are offered in three stages:
- Technical Arts I: Creative Engineering and Design
Students paint, build, design and woodwork. They will gain a basic understanding of sound, lighting, graphic and videography design.
- Technical Arts II: Film Scoring
Students learn how to create a short story on film. They learn how to script write and storyboard. They create a budget and learn how to write, direct, and produce a short story to film with the integration of music.
MIDDLE SCHOOL VISUAL ARTS
6th Grade Art offers an understanding of the various forms, approaches and purposes of art through a curriculum designed around art history. Observational drawings will be a focus as students are ready to fully incorporate the elements of art and the principles of design. Students will create a journal of their exploration of art history and why we create, allowing them to practice the knowledge they have attained over their elementary years.
7th and 8th Grade Art Electives: Students will experiment with various types of media while creating original works of art. Electives are ever changing in order to provide new experiences for some, and an opportunity for a more in-depth study for others. Students will be led to process the concept of “living their lives as works of art”.
MIDDLE SCHOOL THEATER ARTS ELECTIVE (DRAMA)
The 6th Grade Theater Arts Elective provides a great way for students to dip their feet into the world of drama! Students will learn the basics of theater arts including stage directions, basic terminology and the importance of voice and body through the use of engaging lessons and interactive games and practice. This course offers an understanding and practice of character development in order to better individual skills while becoming a character in a scene. Students demonstrate these skills at the end of the course through improvisation of scenes and performing monologues that represent a culmination of what the students have developed over the semester.
We look forward to a JoyFULL 2017-2018.
Mariners Institute for the Arts Staff,
Orchestras Teacher/Director – Mr. Jiyoung Um email@example.com
Elementary General Music Teacher – Mrs. Victoria Boler firstname.lastname@example.org
Band and Worship – Mr. Chris Lucas email@example.com
Technical Arts – Mr. Pax Pulido firstname.lastname@example.org
Visual Arts – Mrs. Juliet Sanita email@example.com